Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » RECUMBENTS » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY

Post subject: New RANS Enduro Build
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:16 am 

Here is a pic of the Enduro I am currently building. Doing the finishing work now, but have about 100 miles on it.

Bought the frameset so I could build it up as I wanted. Been riding a Bacchetta Strada. I do most of my riding in Minnesota, and wanted a recumbent I could put fenders and wider tires on to deal with the rough roads and wet weather. I also own a Double Vision, and have always liked the sling mesh seat, so when Randy made one, it was only a matter of time before I added another RANS to the stable (I have 4 with 3 CFs). If anyone is looking for a well maintained Strada I will be selling it.

As far as ride, it is what I expected. It is smooth. Also, I am able to get it completely dialed in--bike is a little faster than I expected, and it climbs better than I thought it would. Comfort and ease of riding in traffic were my goals and it delivers those in spades.

Wheels are hand laced by me.
Velocity Aeroheat rims with White Industries hubs
Running Schwalbe Marathon Racers

SRAM X-9 10 speed drive train with bar end shifters
It is a 3x10 (48-36-26) and (12-32)
Had to use an OEM bar set to accommodate the shifters
Wrapped the bars in a Harlequin pattern with cloth tape -- am currently applying shellac to complete the finish. Will use cloth friction tape for trim

Using Paul's Mini-moto linear pull brakes with Shimano short pull levers

Attachments:
RansEnduro2014.jpg
RansEnduro2014.jpg [ 239.58 KiB | Viewed 4607 times ]

Post subject: Re: New RANS Enduro Build
 Post Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm 

Nice build! You really used some nice components on it. Much better than the stock RANS build. Why did you decide to go with the steel frame Enduro instead of the aluminum frame Rocket?

Post Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:54 pm 

There were a couple of reasons.
1. in my mind the weight difference was not going to make a significant performance difference (to me). If I wanted a really fast light bike I would be building a Rifle. To that end I also went with wider tires to get a more compliant ride.
2. Since I wasn't trying to build a super fast bike, I wanted to emphasize comfort. I personally like the sling mesh seat quite a bit. As good as the other RANS seats are, I think the sling mesh is more comfortable. This is an extra charge option on the Rocket.
3. Down the same comfort path, I felt that the steel was going feel slightly better. I own both a steel and aluminum Dynamik. The steel one mutes the road buzz a little better.

Post Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:05 pm 

bikerjohn wrote:
There were a couple of reasons.
1. in my mind the weight difference was not going to make a significant performance difference (to me). If I wanted a really fast light bike I would be building a Rifle. To that end I also went with wider tires to get a more compliant ride.
2. Since I wasn't trying to build a super fast bike, I wanted to emphasize comfort. I personally like the sling mesh seat quite a bit. As good as the other RANS seats are, I think the sling mesh is more comfortable. This is an extra charge option on the Rocket.
3. Down the same comfort path, I felt that the steel was going feel slightly better. I own both a steel and aluminum Dynamik. The steel one mutes the road buzz a little better.

Makes sense. I was just curious since the two bikes are a lot a like except the frame material. Steel is definitely a more compliant ride. I have a Stratus 700 that is a steel frame and previously owned a Gold Rush. The aluminum Gold Rush was really beating me up. Stratus is a much smoother ride. The GRR was faster but there was a price to pay for the speed. Much happier with the Stratus.

It seems strange that the Enduro comes with the sling mesh but it is a $100 upcharge on the Rocket. I have a sling mesh on my V3 Ti and the comfort can't be beat.

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:11 pm 

Nice build. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, when do you ride your CF's and when do you choose the recumbents?

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:08 am 

There are 4 specialty "missions" I feel the CFs are superior to a bent.

1. Winter riding in the snow and ice. I have not figured out how to ride a recumbent on snow and ice. The CFs are almost ideal. Since you can put your feet down without getting off the seat, you can "4 point" if you get in a skid. This has saved me from falling on multiple occaisions! Some people think I am crazy, but I enjoy the cold and snow, and will continue to ride even in negative wind chills (down to about -25).
2. Running errands around town. I do a lot of commuting, so I end up riding around 6000 miles per year. It is really handy to be able to use a backpack. Racks are superior for heavy loads or long rides, but a backpack is handy because you don't have to stop to attach or detach it. It simply goes where you go. So, if I am doing some type of shopping that will fit in a backpack I am most likely to take a CF.
3. Rides where we will be spending a lot of time climbing. I have done rides where you are climbing on extended grades above 6%, with pitches up to 15%. I climb better on the CFs. When you are in the middle of a 30 minute climb, it is nice sometimes to be able to stand. It gives the muscles a break. I have gotten where I can stand for extended periods. I have done a mile grade all standing. Oddly enough -- I have both a Dynamik and a 700X. The * of the Dynamik is a little longer, and it makes it a little more comfortable to stand. It takes more effort to stand, but once you are up, it is more comfortable (to me).
4. When I have to lock the bike and leave it for a while. None of my bents is triangulated, so I have not figured out how to secure them.

Board index » RECUMBENTS » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY