Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » RECUMBENTS » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY

Post subject: New "to me" V2
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm 

Picked up this excellent condition V2 last week from an ad on CL. Been looking for one of these for two years. Finally found one. HAD to buy it, as about 6 different things fell into place right before I bought it. Everything pointed to buying it.

Attachments:
RansV2_1.jpg
RansV2_1.jpg [ 42.03 KiB | Viewed 4682 times ]

Post subject: Re: New "to me" V2
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:26 pm 

Congrats on the find Bob! I took a "doubletake" looking at your V2. This month, I also found a "like new" 2005 V2 for sale... same color! I was very happy with my find. It's my first 'bent.

Here's some comments on my Rans and first 'bent:

I have no complaints about the quality of the bike, but it's "handling" (like any LWB) sure takes getting used to. It's like driving a "chopper" on the street instead of a stock motorcycle. You have to be very mindful of turns and you cannot respond to changing conditions as quick as you can on a stock bike. You have to "keep your mind on the job" and think ahead for traffic, turns, road conditions, etc.

Every day, I look forward to putting a few miles on the bike, weather permitting. It's my way of relaxing.

How 'bout you?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:24 am 

radioguy wrote:
I have no complaints about the quality of the bike, but it's "handling" (like any LWB) sure takes getting used to. ......you cannot respond to changing conditions as quick as you can on a stock bike. You have to "keep your mind on the job" and think ahead for traffic, turns, road conditions, etc.

As you said, any LWB is going to be like that, no different than if you were on a "DF" tandem bike, or driving a limo vs. a Mini -- a longer vehicle maneuvers differently. But when SHOULDN'T you be thinking ahead for traffic(!), turns, and road conditions??? The more you ride it, the easier it will be to fall into a "natural feeling" riding mode.

Personally, I love the combination of no heelstrike and no knee/bar interference on the V2 or the StratusXP, to go along with the comfy and fast ride.

Good Craigslist find, hope you get many thousands of miles on it!

Paul

2011 Seavo tandem, lime green -- The "Margarita Machine"
2010 Xstream26 -- with 1.75" tires and SM seat

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:11 pm 

I had three short wheel base bikes a couple of months ago, two were mine and one belonged to my wife. Then I saw a 2003 Velocity Squared bike on craigslist here in my hometown. I went to look at it, and then asked if I could take it on an extensive test ride. The couple selling the bike gave me their permision and I ended up riding that bike for about an hour and a half. When I came back from that ride, I knew it was the bike for me, and I went to the bank and came straight back with the money.

Mine was an XL frame. My wife couldn't reach the pedals and still have her back against the seat rest. So I searched on Craigslist and found another 2003 Velocity Squared bike, this time a small or standard frame bike. I bought that one for my wife and she also loves it. Her short wheel base bike is for sale now. I have already sold one of my SWB bikes, and just traded my other one for a 2009 Rans V3 in a steel frame. I can't wait to receive it, but have to wait on shipping.

I also heard that Rans is re-introducing a version of the V3 that is much like a cross between a V3 and a V2. It has the 20 inch front wheel, and a 26 inch rear wheel like the V2, but has no power idler, like the V3. I will buy that bike as soon as it is for sale. Maybe one for me and one for my wife.

Board index » RECUMBENTS » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY