Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » RECUMBENTS » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY

Post subject: V3 20 x 26 conversion photos
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:42 pm 

Decided to go ahead and convert my V3 AL 650 x 650 to 20(406) x 26(559). I had referred to possibly doing the conversion in this thread. http://www.intotheride.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=222#p712

Conversion went fine. Used the V2 fork and installed V-brakes. Luckily in my old parts stock I had a Tektro BX 20 BMX V-brake. This brake does not use a noodle. The cable enters the top of the right arm and goes around a roller to the left arm. This eliminates the strange noodle routing and there is no crank to brake arm interference. The BX 20 is a powerful brake and with the Kool Stop dual compound pads it brings the bike down fast. It is a shame that Textro no longer makes the BX 20. I used a standard Avid 7 V-brake on the rear. I used Velocity Razor rims with Velocity hubs and Schwalbe 1.35" Kojak tires.

Bike handles much better. Reduced wheel flop, better slow speed hill climbing, much more maneuverability in city traffic, and much easier to start from a stop. My average is about the same. I actual think I ride better because I am more comfortable on the bike. Also switched out the Hoagie seat for a sling mesh seat. Randy if you read this you definitely need to offer the V3 in the 20 x 26 wheel configuration. This is also one of the most quiet recumbents I have ridden since it has no power side idle. I installed a Terracycle idler on the return site.

Attachments:
V3_20x26 Lsm.jpg
V3_20x26 Lsm.jpg [ 31.63 KiB | Viewed 5976 times ]
V3_20x26 Rsm.jpg
V3_20x26 Rsm.jpg [ 36.6 KiB | Viewed 5976 times ]

Post subject: Re: V3 20 x 26 conversion photos
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 am 

We have set up the V3 like this and found it to be a very fun ride. As you found the handling is great at any speed. We tested four bikes that normally had 26 or 650 wheels and changed them to 20" and the one that one overall was not the V3. What did win may show up in our line up one of these days.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:41 pm 

John, I see you sold the 26/20 V3 to BikePoky down in Florida... (been chatting with her by email) -- why'd you sell it, and what's next on your Xmas list???

Paul

2011 Seavo tandem, lime green -- The "Margarita Machine"
2010 Xstream26 -- with 1.75" tires and SM seat

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 am 

FlyingLaZBoy wrote:
John, I see you sold the 26/20 V3 to BikePoky down in Florida... (been chatting with her by email) -- why'd you sell it, and what's next on your Xmas list???

Paul
Paul, Sold the V3 because I just cannot acclimate to the high BB. I owned several high BB SWB's in the past and sold them because just did not do well with the high BB. I thought I would give a LWB high BB bike a shot, but still had same issues. Also found the steering tricky on the V3, much more so than the high BB SWB's I owned. After about 300 mi. decided it just was not for me.

I purchased a Stratus 700. Not one of the original models but the one Randy came out with in 2009. Calhoun Cycle had a NOS Stratus 700 and since it was not moving I got a pretty good discount on it. I really like the 20 x 700 LWB configuration, and since RANS only made this model for one year and it is rare to find one I went for it and purchased the bike.

Of course I bought it in Dec. at the beginning of our winter here in StL so I have been putting quite a few trainer miles on it. Love the position when riding on the trainer, I yet to have it on an outside ride. I will post photos when I get a chance to snap a few. Since I work for an accounting firm I have limited free time during this time of the year. I have some goodies I want to put on it such as a Terracycle idler, but just have not got around to it.

Here is a generic photo. My bike looks basically just the same as this photo.

Last bumped by iambent on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 am.

Board index » RECUMBENTS » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY