Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » RECUMBENTS » RECUMBENT DISCUSSIONS

Post subject: Recommended Steerer Tube Length
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:29 am 

I posted this on BROL but not getting any responses, so thought I would try here.

I have a RANS V3 frame that I am building up. Bought a fork from RANS for it. Fork has a 13" steerer tube. My head tube with the headset stack height is 7". That leaves 6" of steerer tube out the top. The headset adjuster uses about 1" of steerer tube, that leaves 5" to slip the riser over. Seems like a lot. Would you leave steerer tube as is or cut it down? If cutting down how much would you cut off?

I talked to RANS and they said I could leave as is or cut it down, but gave no specifics of how much to cut off.

Post subject: Re: Recommended Steerer Tube Length
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:16 pm 

iambent wrote:
I posted this on BROL but not getting any responses, so thought I would try here.

I have a RANS V3 frame that I am building up. Bought a fork from RANS for it. Fork has a 13" steerer tube. My head tube with the headset stack height is 7". That leaves 6" of steerer tube out the top. The headset adjuster uses about 1" of steerer tube, that leaves 5" to slip the riser over. Seems like a lot. Would you leave steerer tube as is or cut it down? If cutting down how much would you cut off?

I talked to RANS and they said I could leave as is or cut it down, but gave no specifics of how much to cut off.

I would cut it to whatever length you need to make everything fit. First, I would add a stack of spacers just to give you some wiggle room if you decide to set it up differently in the future.
YMMV, etc.

Her RANS Stratus
Apache
Ranger Ti
HighBaron

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:50 pm 

Thanks Rat Rider. I did finally get some replies on BROL. Everyone was saying not to cut it, so I left it uncut. With the head tube length and headset adjuster and clamps there was about 6" of steerer tube left. Since the riser is long and flexy, the extra steerer tube helps to stiffen it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:06 pm 

iambent wrote:
Thanks Rat Rider. I did finally get some replies on BROL. Everyone was saying not to cut it, so I left it uncut. With the head tube length and headset adjuster and clamps there was about 6" of steerer tube left. Since the riser is long and flexy, the extra steerer tube helps to stiffen it.

I would like to see a pic. What I see in my mind is one funky steering attachment. :)

Her RANS Stratus
Apache
Ranger Ti
HighBaron

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

Rat Rider wrote:
iambent wrote:

I would like to see a pic. What I see in my mind is one funky steering attachment. :)
I believe you may think that the V3 has a threaded headset and indeed that would be a strange setup. The V3 uses a threadless headset. RANS has a special clamp that grips the steerer tube and the riser fits over the steerer tube. You do not see the steerer tube, it looks completely normal. Here is a photo of a V3 I previously owned. I do not have a photo of my current V3, but the steering setup is the same.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 pm 

Ah, now I get it. Uncut is definitely the way to go. For some reason I thought a flip-it riser was employed in the mix.

Her RANS Stratus
Apache
Ranger Ti
HighBaron

Board index » RECUMBENTS » RECUMBENT DISCUSSIONS