Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » RECUMBENTS » RECUMBENT DISCUSSIONS

Post subject: Steering Characteristics
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:40 pm 

Though I love my Xstream 26 she has an annoying tendency to over steer. I attribute this to the forward bend in the lower portion of the fork. I'm sure there is an engineering term for this that escapes me. Why is this part of the design, do others find this annoying and can I correct it by replacing the fork? Dave

Post subject: Re: Steering Characteristics
 Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 am 

I found a super easy fix that solves the issue. I bought a five inch eye bolt from the hardware store, which I attached to the top hole in the fork. I ran a pulley through the eye bolt, snugged it up and clamped it to the frame with a hose clamp. Steers solidly now.

Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:08 pm 

What you're referring to is fork rake, or offset. More fork rake causes less trail, which is a measurement in the steering geometry. Trail gives the bike stability, but too much makes the bike handle sluggishly. So the rake of the fork is selected to give the desired degree of 'quickness' in the steering. I've never ridden an X-Stream, but I've tried a Stratus-XP, which had similar rake. Didn't notice what you're describing; but I can certainly see that a large rake could cause... I'm not sure the term, other than to call it 'reverse tiller' at the wheel itself. I'm sure you could replace the fork with one that had a more standard 40mm of rake, but I really don't know what you'd do to the handling!

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 am 

I'm having a difficult time picturing this... could you take some photos and post 'em? A pulley and an eye bolt????

Paul

ransrollin wrote:
I found a super easy fix that solves the issue. I bought a five inch eye bolt from the hardware store, which I attached to the top hole in the fork. I ran a pulley through the eye bolt, snugged it up and clamped it to the frame with a hose clamp. Steers solidly now.

2011 Seavo tandem, lime green -- The "Margarita Machine"
2010 Xstream26 -- with 1.75" tires and SM seat

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 am 

No pics right now, but I can give a better explanation. There are three things in play: an eye bolt or i-bolt with two nuts, basically a bolt with a hole in the end. The 'pulley' is more commonly referred too as a bungee. The eye bolt is mounted hole side pointing towards the back of the bike, the further it gets from the fork, the more dampening on the steering. Hook both ends of the bungee to the eye bolt, pull taught, and clamp to the downtube with a hose clamp. The tighter the bungee, the tighter the steering. Searching 'bicycle steering dampeners' brings up other ideas, most involving a spring of sorts.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 am 

with all these folks going trike for the better handling, you would think a simple fix steering stabilizer would be employed by 2 wheel manufacturers a long time ago.

Attachments:
2013-07-29 20.05.04.jpg
2013-07-29 20.05.04.jpg [ 99.04 KiB | Viewed 4320 times ]

Board index » RECUMBENTS » RECUMBENT DISCUSSIONS