Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » RECUMBENTS » RECUMBENT DISCUSSIONS

Post subject: Rocket
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 pm 

Very nice bit of marketing using the Rocket monicker. I don't know anyone with a negative feeling toward that bike. Nice looking bike!

Her RANS Stratus
Apache
Ranger Ti
HighBaron

Post subject: Re: Rocket
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:27 am 

Rat Rider wrote:
Very nice bit of marketing using the Rocket monicker. I don't know anyone with a negative feeling toward that bike. Nice looking bike!
Rat Rider, At first I could not figure out your post about the Rocket, then I noticed the ITR article. Guess I need to pay more attention to the ITR's.

When I see the new Rocket with a monotube frame and 26" rear wheel it just does not seem like a Rocket to me, I just keep thinking Bacchetta Giro. Almost seems like a clone of the Giro. Do you know if it has a disc brake mount for the rear wheel? I think it would be interesting to stick a 20" wheel on the rear of the new Rocket, but would need a disc brake for that conversion. That would really bring the seat height down. I would also change the seat out to the sling mesh. The RANS hybrid seat (hard seat pan & mesh back) does not work for me. There just is something about that seat that gives me bad R-butt and a sore tailbone. In fact I switched out the hybrid seat on my Stratus 700 to a Bacchetta Re-curve and it just works much better for me. Love the sling mesh, think it is one of the best bent seats out there, but it is too laid back for the Stratus.

At one time I owned a Rocket and the problem I had with the gearing is that it was too high for me. That 62 tooth chainring was a bit much. I changed mine to a 54-44-30 setup and liked it much better with that gearing. Randy likes to spec the bikes with that "Kansas" gearing and for a spinner like me it just does not work.

I did not keep the Rocket very long. I had a GRR at the time I had the Rocket and it just seemed slow after riding the GRR. I really do not believe the Rocket was that slow, I think I had a mental thing about the dual 20" wheels and being slow. The little Rocket did climb really well, especially when changed to lower gearing.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:35 pm 

iambent wrote:
Rat Rider wrote:
Rat Rider, At first I could not figure out your post about the Rocket, then I noticed the ITR article. Guess I need to pay more attention to the ITR's.

When I see the new Rocket with a monotube frame and 26" rear wheel it just does not seem like a Rocket to me, ...(snip)

No doubt, duplicating the dual 20" bike would not be a good business direction, otherwise they would still be in production. My point was in the use of the name. As fair Juliet so famously muses, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Thus, the beholder of the Rocket can expect something quite a excellent as the Rocket of old...

Her RANS Stratus
Apache
Ranger Ti
HighBaron

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:03 am 

I found out that is has a disc on the rear so switching to a 20" rear would be easy, just need a wheel and tire. It would be fun to experiment with, but I cannot justify $2400 for an experiment. I wonder if they will offer a frameset.

Lots of talk on BROL about the new Rocket. A lot of it is negative towards the name. Many connect the Rocket name with dual 20" wheels.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 am 

Just now, old 20 x 20 Rockets are doing well on ebay. A cream puff went for $600, and a rougher one went for $560. Plus shipping...

Board index » RECUMBENTS » RECUMBENT DISCUSSIONS