Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY

Post subject: Alterra 29 at Fool's Gold 100
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 pm 

Attachment:
Alterra at FG2012.jpg
Alterra at FG2012.jpg [ 110.01 KiB | Viewed 7946 times ]
Here's bike and rider right after finishing the Fool's Gold 100 miler last September. The race is part of the NUE series of bike races and is held in the beautiful woods and mountains north of Dahlonega, Georgia. The Alterra carried me through in just over 10 hours earning me a well earned coffee cup (and avoiding the dreaded DNF). The winner, Jeremiah Bishop, came in hours before but let that not reflect poorly on the bike. He and the other mountain goats finish hours ahead no matter what I ride. So this time I thought at least I'd be comfortable. Curious side effect was a burn on my bum where the back of the seat rubbed against the lycra of my shorts above the pad. Caused by my pushing against the seat during the climbs. Easily solved by an application of petroleum jelly I think. Positive side effect was no back ache! A previous 100 miler on my Ellsworth full suspension had my back aching after only a few hours. The mountain bikers were friendly and curious about the new geometry as they are welcoming to all kinds of rides. It was those incredible single speeders on the all rigid steel bikes that inspired me after all. I thought that if they could do it, then surely a rigid Crank Forward could as well. Next race is in April at the Cohutta 100 miler.

Paul
Panama City, Florida

Post subject: Re: Alterra 29 at Fool's Gold 100
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am 

Niiiiice! Wow, 100 Miles off-road! Way to go. Looks like you have quite the setup too.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 pm 

What is up with the front derailleur cable????

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 pm 

Thanks bikerjohn. It is my first bike build and I wanted to splurge. Some of it ridiculous (fancy cassette, hollow point chain), some of it unwise (did not know ceramic bearings required so much maintenance), some of it worth every penny (the brakes, wheels, tires, grip shifts, and the Type 2 derailleur). Really like the UST beaded WTB tires that you add sealant only for puncture protection. Really like the finger tip control brakes (first of that kind for me). See ranrollin's post about the Type 2 derailleurs to understand how necessary they are for chain management. Best splurging of all was in the wheels. Nice wheels make any bike feel top dollar.

ransrollin, good spot. That's what I had to do in the awful hurry of putting this bike together in time for the race. The X0 front derailleur can support top or bottom pull through a bulky diamond shape pivot. As you all know, crank forwards do not have the space for bulky pivots with the seat tube so close by. Of course, I learned this the moment I had the X0 front derailleur in my hand. The inability to mount the derailleur threatened my whole SRAM 2x10 scheme as I had no time to order and reorder until I got an alternative right. So out came the hacksaw and off came the part of the pivot that supported the bottom pull. What is left of the pivot is still triangular so I hope it is strong enough. Absolutely no room left between pivot and seat tube. Indeed, the pivot scratches the paint on the smallest chain ring. But it works! Oh, so with no bottom pull I went top pull. I had no extra bits so I just routed the cable straight to the derailleur.

As I had such a time picking components, here's a summary of what I ordered to benefit other inexperienced builders:

2012 Shimano XTR BR-988 Trail Brake Front & Rear
2012 Shimano XTR SM-RT98 Rotor 160mm NA
Cassettes: SRAM XX Cassette 11x36
2012 SRAM PC 1091 HollowPin Chain (qty 2)
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP Blackbox Ceramic Bottom Bracket 68
Rear Derailleurs: SRAM X0 Type 2 Rear Derailleur Red Medium Cage
Front Derailleurs: SRAM X0 2x10 High Clamp Front Derailleur 31.8 Traditional Pull
Wheels Manufacturing 28.6 to 31.8 Front Derailleur Shim
Shifters: SRAM X0 2X10 Grip Shifter Set
Cranks: Truvativ XX Crankset - 166 Q-Factor 170mm, 39/26
Mavic Crossmax Slr 29Er Wheels 2012, 6 Bolt
WTB tires with the Tubeless compatible system.
Speedplay Frogs. Titanium spindles. Okay, that is ridiculous too.
GORE RideOn Derailleur Cable Kit - Sealed Low Friction
Shimano SM-MA-R160 Disc Brake Mount Adaptor - Rear, Front
Lezyne Power Water Bottle Cage (2)
Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector
3rd Eye Chain watcher (to stop between tire & stay chain suck - it's a long chain!)

The Shimano brakes came with hydraulic cables more than long enough. I had to cut them but there are videos that make it easy and not a mess. Don't be a chump and forget to order the brake mount adapters like I did. I thought they came with the brake calipers but it's the mount that supports the different rotor size so you have to specify what you want.

Thanks to all those who post. Invaluable advice for us newbies.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 am 

Very nice! Looks great.

I've just recently completed building a Sequoia - X0 grip shifters, X0 front, X9 cranks, X9 Type 2 rear. All works well. I had read about problems with the front before I built, but I had no problems on the Sequoia with clearance for the derailleur - so I went std bottom pull. It must be the tighter angle of the Alterra that causes the issue.

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY