Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY

Post subject: Alterra Road with drop bars
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 am 

Picked up the replacement of my Z Pro at my local bike shop yesterday : the Alterra Road.
I really like the looks of it :D !

Tihamér

Attachments:
File comment: Alterra Road
SAM_1919+small.jpg
SAM_1919+small.jpg [ 231.95 KiB | Viewed 7387 times ]
File comment: the handlebar setup
SAM_1922+small.jpg
SAM_1922+small.jpg [ 243.54 KiB | Viewed 7387 times ]

Post subject: Re: Alterra Road with drop bars
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:21 pm 

Your bike looks very good. You will have to let us know what your riding experience is. Enjoy!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:19 am 

bikerjohn wrote:
You will have to let us know what your riding experience is.

Bikerjohn, you can follow everything on my blog : http://www.zenetikpro.blogspot.com

Tihamér

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:34 am 

Hi Tihamér,

A couple of questions on your Alterra setup. Are you using standard 26.0 mm drop bars with a 26.0 mm stem clamp area? If so, does the RANS stem clamp the bar okay since that stem is for a 25.4 clamp area? Hard to find drop bars with a 25.4 clamp area and when I do they are not in black.

Since the photo is from the left side of the bike it is hard for me to tell if you are using a long cage MTB type derailleur or a medium cage road type derailleur with the Brifters? I would like to use Brifters on my Alterra but want to keep my 11-32 cassette which needs a long cage derailleur. Do you have a ten speed or nine speed setup? Also is that a double compact crank (50-34?) or a triple?

From the photos it looks like you are using a Zenetik carbon seat instead of the plastic Alterra seat? I have the Zen carbon pan and pad, but still have the Alterra seat on the bike. To me the Zen seat is more comfortable but I have been reluctant to switch for fear of leg rub. If that is the Zen seat, how to you like it on the Alterra?

Could you give a brief listing of you component spec.

Thanks! :)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:02 am 

Hi Tihamér,

I just noticed the link to your blog. So I see you went with the 10 speed, and the Zen seat. Sounds like you have not ridden the bike so cannot give an opinion on the seat yet. Still could not tell what derailleur or crank you are using.

You can still find the 9 speed Brifters on eBay. I use to have a road bike with Brifters (sold it a year ago). One thing about the Brifters is that I find it is not as easy to make a shift as with twist or thumb shifters since you have to reach out to the brake hood and flick the brake lever inward. I do find the drop bars more comfortable than the flat bars. On the drop bars I just moved my hands to a different area of the bar when I experienced numbness in the hands. On the flat bars even though I have Ergon grips, when I experience numbness I am stuck in the same position. But on the flat bar the shifting and braking is much easier. I believe I would give up the easier shifting and braking for less hand numbness, that is why I am considering a drop bar. I actually have a worse numb hand problem on the Alterra than on the road bike, I gave up the road bike because I just could not take the saddle. I need that CF seat.

You said you could not raise your bars any higher. I cannot tell from the photos if you have the the medium (6") or the tall (7.5") riser. If you have the medium, the tall will give you another 1.5" of rise. Also you can move the riser up about an inch on the steerer tube.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm 

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=detai ... SKU=HT1737

The best way that I've found to move the hands around is the GC3 grips from ergon. Stand and pedal is vastly improved with bar ends and a flat, no sweep mtb bar. Riding in aerobars will also relieve any hand numbness. I guess that's not a logical solution because it's uncouth to have bar ends on a road bike, but it's also uncouth to ride crankforward so I didn't get hung up on that.

Drop bars were designed to be used on bikes that have the seat and stem in the same plane, so they are a challenge to get compatible with crankforward

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:02 pm 

Iambent,

I have a complete SHIMANO 105 gruppo on the Alterra. Regarding the drop bars, I can't answer that. I suppose it's a 26mm drop bar, since finishing my Alterra at my local bike shop took a couple of extra days because they were waiting for the drop bars to arrive (they were ordered seperately).

Rear derailleur is a regular 105 derailleur, but that is only temporary. I have the tall riser on my bike, so it doesn't get much higher than that. The crank is a double compact.

So far, I've ridden 70 miles on the Alterra. The carbon seat is working fine, although I had to raise the nose a little bit. No need for the Alterra (plastic) seat yet. Regarding comfort on the drop bars : on last nights ride, I used padded bike gloves, which are a must for me. On my recumbents I use bike gloves without any padding, just to protect me in case I fall down. On the Alterra, there's too much weight on my hands and I really need the extra padding. Shifting STI shifters does take some time getting used to, but I'm working on it ;)

Tihamér

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY