Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY

Post subject: Alterra Road
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:01 pm 

Alterra road

Attachments:
File comment: A view of the seat modification from the side.
zipper.JPG
zipper.JPG [ 77.77 KiB | Viewed 9082 times ]
File comment: Above view of seat modification
seatsy.JPG
seatsy.JPG [ 92.76 KiB | Viewed 9082 times ]

Post subject: Re: Alterra Road
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 pm 

I've been riding this seat a bunch and must say it is the best! I tried the original seat the other day and almost slipped off. I didn't realize how much effort it takes to stay on, now I no why people used to tell me they feel like they are slipping off the RANS bikes, on first try. I have found a source for inch and a half minicel foam: http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html -ordered up some black and white to try out.

After many many hours on this seat it still holds it's shape, very impressive stuff.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm 

Tell me about the fairing. Make, model, weight?

Do you have tuck to get the aero benefit?

I have a full sized ZZipper Thriller fairing for my Zen. But haven't left it on because it weighs down the steering. I've thought of using a smaller fairing.

Have you put a cover on the seat? It doesn't look like the smaller Alterra pan.

Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:12 am 

I cannot really tell but I am assuming that is a Zzipper fairing. I do not believe there is a Windwrap fairing made for CF's. The CF fairing they show on the Zzipper site is a full length fairing, whereas your fairing is a shorty. Did you buy the DF fairing and mount it on your CF? On second thought maybe it is a Windwrap fairing. The mount does not look like a Zzipper mount, it looks like a Windwrap mount. Did you buy a Windwrap fairing and adapted it to your Alterra?

Do you notice a difference with the fairing? Is there a noticeable speed increase? Why did you decide to go with the short fairing? Does it help in a headwind.

I am sort of intrigued by a fairing on a CF. The drawbacks are the same as when I had a Gold Rush with a fairing. Bike is heavier so disadvantage when climbing, bike is bulkier so harder to store or haul. Falls over easier when parked. Not needing a fairing is one of the reasons I sold my Gold Rush and bought a V3. You can get aero on a V3 without a fairing.

Here is a photo of the Zzipper CF fairing.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:39 am 

Copied from previous posts about seat comfort:

My seat cover wore out after a while, so I made my own seat cover with closed cell foam; It comes in 1 inch thick: http://kayakoutfitting.com/index.php?ma ... Path=15_17
and 3 inch thick:[url] http://kayakoutfitting.com/index.php?ma ... Path=15_16
[/url]
This foam can be shaped however you like with a serrated blade for the basic shape, for the fine tuning there's a surform: http://kayakoutfitting.com/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=95
or dragonskin: http://kayakoutfitting.com/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=89

Once the bottom shaping was complete I used a little gorilla glue to hold it in place. The seat is infinitely mold-able even when attached to the bike. Since all butts are different this method seems to be a good way to accomodate everyone, it can be made as big or small as needed. I removed a lot of the material in the middle so the outside of my sitz bones hold all the body weight. The shaping is fun. I've made four seat covers for less then half the price of one RANS seat cover, tools included.
The foam is the seat cover. Since it's closed cell kayak foam, there is no need to cover it. Putting a fabric cover over a shaped piece of foam voids most of the benefits of shaping, as the fabric pulls tight over gaps in the foam, distributing pressure in places I don't want it.

P.S. The closed cell foam doesn't soak up water like the RANS seat cover does, so my butt stays dryer, another big benefit.

The fairing is Mueller Windwrap XT with super adjust hardware. Smaller people might not need the super adjust hardware but I need it, or I have to duck a lot to get my head below the windstream. I find the fairing works best when I'm on the aerobars, that way the windstream is just above my forehead. The purpose of the fairing is to reduce windnoise although I do enjoy the increased speed.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:21 am 

After my CF2 seat fiasco (see other forum), I'm thinking of trying your foam. There are two foam sources listed: foambymail.com and kayakoutfitting.com. Which one is the source for the foam in the photos? Is the foam 1-1/2" thick? It looks thinner, maybe 3/4".

Steve in the OC

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:23 pm 

The foam in the picture is 3 inch thick kayak foam. I purchased it through liberty mountain but all kayak foam is the same. The kayak foam is a little smoother shaping then the foambymail. I split the kayak foam in half with a long knife so it was inch and a half. Foambymail allows you to purchase inch and a half stock as well as in colors if you buy a full sheet. You might want to check with a local kayak shop for foam and dragonskin before ordering, it's better to buy local.

The foam can also be glued together if you decide to go with 1/2 inch to start with and find out you need more cush.

http://www.libertymountain.com/shop/pro ... 20&o=0&s=5

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY