Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY

Post subject: Alterra Road Build
 Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:22 am 

I finally got around to building up my Alterra Road frameset. A lot of the components I used were in parts stock, and bought a few off of eBay. I definitely came in way under the cost of a buying a complete Alterra Road. I did buy the tires new since I wanted 700 x 28. I also had to buy a new brakeset. The Cane Creek SCR-5's would not clear the front tire. I replaced them with Tektro R710's which give good clearance for the 700 x 28 tires.

Did photos quickly. Will try to post some better ones later.

Post subject: Re: Alterra Road Build
 Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:35 am 

Great looking build ! Let us know your impressions after a few miles.Love my Zenetic and Cruz

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:12 pm 

Jay Slater wrote:
Great looking build ! Let us know your impressions after a few miles.Love my Zenetic and Cruz

I did a 27 mi. ride on the Alterra on Sunday. It rode great and seemed really solid. Bike was very quiet with no strange noises. I did preventive maintenance on the seat since I had so much trouble with noise on my Zenetik seat. Used milk jug shims and greased all pivot points and seatpost. Seat was quiet, no noise. I found the seat comfortable. I was worried about the seat since it is cut down more than the Zenetik seat, but had no discomfort issues and seems as comfortable as the Zenetik seat. I do not need to point the Alterra seat down as much since leg rubbed is reduced compared to the Zenetik seat. Will have to see how seat does on longer rides before doing final assessment.

I used an On One Mary handlebar with the RANS straight stem and Ergon grips. Found the hand position very comfortable with this setup. Most of the route I did was on a bike trail so not many hills. I do have to climb a steep hill to get from the trail to my house and had no problem climbing it with the Alterra. I did try standing up on the hill but found it a lot like on my previous Zenetik, you can stand but it feels awkward and climbing seems much easier when seated. Just does not have that natural stand and climb feel like on a DF road bike. I probably will not have much need for standing since this bike has some low gearing. Crank is 50-39-30 and cassette is 11-32.

I will be taking the Alterra to the Horsey Hundred this coming weekend where I will get to do a couple of 50 mi. rides and plenty of hill climbing. Will definitely have more to report after the HH.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:38 am 

the type of handlebar and grips alters the out of the seat pedaling. With the tall riser I found the stock bar has too much sweep for standing on the pedals. I'm using a flat bar with no sweep and ergon gc3 grips. The bar ends are fantastic for getting off the seat.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 am 

Great looking build Iamben! About stand riding, I am so used to the Alterra, I do not even think about when I stand ride. The real test was off road on the 29, you are constantly up and down out of the seat, maybe practice is the big difference here, because for me the Alterra is effortless to stand ride. Thanks for sharing, have fun, looks great!

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » OWNERS PHOTO GALLERY