Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » CRANK FORWARD DISCUSSIONS

Post subject: My Rans, S/N below.
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:29 pm 

Last year I was on the hunt for a second recumbent as my wife had taken my Sun EZ-Sport. Fate smacked me in the face when I found a used Rans Stratus up north of Detroit. The guy decided he needed to give it away so I drove from Troy OH to pick it up.

From the looks of it, the guy must have found it deserted in a back yard or maybe even in a dumpster. He claimed to have repainted it and even got stickers from Rans, albeit they are the wrong ones, saying "Stratus XP."

It was, and is, a bit of a piece/parted together bike. The bike wasn't rideable. I got it home, adjusted this or that, and had it ready to ride in a jiffy.

The S/N of the unit, per the bottom bracket, is "05981104" or "05981194", I can't really tell. Common sense would say maybe the bike was built in "May 1998" but I wouldn't know. The only part that required replacing was the idler and the seat cushion.

The irony is that even though it is by far the most worn and "aged" bike in the fleet, it's the one I go for every time.

Post subject: Re: My Rans, S/N below.
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 am 

I believe it means built in May 1998 and it was the 1194 unit that was built. Too bad it does not have the original paint. The 1998 Stratus was purple. I know because I used to own one. Also it had a strange component mix. Used a Campy crank. I am not sure if they changed the components on your bike, but if it has a Campy crank it probably is a 1998 model. I believe that is the only year RANS used that crank.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 am 

Fantastic. 1998 is confirmed as the bike has the crank you specified. Pictures are on down if you want to neglect to read my writing.

The guy that owned it stated that when he "got it" and who knows when or by what means that was, that it was spraypainted black. He did make a fuss that he repainted it the original factory color, and it is purple.

The parts that I do believe are original are the Shimano Deoro front brake and lever and the Shimano 105 front derailleur. The rear derailleur is a SRAM X7 and the rear brake is an inexpensive replacement for what was there. The rear wheel is off of a mountain bike and has an 8 speed cassette which I am sure doesn't match the factory gearing. I believe the SRAM twist shifters that were on the bike previously were original though they were done. The front wheel is off of a BMX bike. Quite a piece, well, maybe pieces.

Once I adjusted everything, the bike was rideable with no additional expense. Including the gas to get it, I had $380 total (80 for gas, and $300 purchase price). I have since replaced the front tire with a Kwest 20X1.5 hp to match the rear. I removed the original fabric pocket/fairing but still have it. I also replaced the seat cushion which was a piece of cheap ill * foam with a factory RANS cushion, both water bottle cages, and put on a Mirracle and a bell. The green bag on the back is one I have had for a long time.

This bike must have had a lot of use. The digital speedo, which looks relatively modern, had over 20,000 miles on it when I got the bike.

Pics attached.

Attachments:
File comment: The bike in all of it's glory. I had no idea that it was as exclusive as it is. how cool!
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG [ 137.16 KiB | Viewed 5721 times ]
File comment: Close up of the text on the crank.
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG [ 153.62 KiB | Viewed 5721 times ]
File comment: The "Campy" crank, as you mentioned
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG [ 127.97 KiB | Viewed 5721 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 am 

One more pic, the fairing, which I am sure is original.

Attachments:
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG [ 129.46 KiB | Viewed 5721 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:21 am 

If the moderator has the technology, moving this to the appropriate group under the recumbent section is probably what needs to happen. I posted in the wrong section. My apologies.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:54 am 

Very nice pick up! Looks great and it's nice to own a bike that you can call a "classic".

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:12 pm 

Everyone that sees it that knows what it is, sees the old air pump mounts and such, really flips for it. I love the bike and while a new bike would be nice to have, the only bike I would take is another Stratus LE. The bike rides like a Caddy, is fast, and just a totally good piece. Moving over to my wife's EZ sport is torture. Love the Stratus

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » CRANK FORWARD DISCUSSIONS