Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » CRANK FORWARD DISCUSSIONS

Post subject: seat bags!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am 

There is a lot of potential for high capacity seat bags for the crankforward bikes. Rans has nice seat bags for their recumbent bikes. Since there isn't the normal rails on the crankforward bikes, it will be challenging to mount the revelate viscacha bag.
Anybody using a high capacity seat bag on their rans cf? Sometimes it would be nice to leave the panniers at home. If Rans were to design a cf seat bag, expandable would be nice so taller folks can fill up the space between the seat and tire and shorter folks don't have to worry about tire rub. Trunk bags tend to flop around and interfere with pannier installation. I would be satisfied if there was a good rack top option, yet it would still be nice to have a bike set up without a rear rack.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am 

Maybe RANS will come out with a seat bag someday.

Last edited by iambent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: seat bags!
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 pm 

Spending 100plus dollars on a retro seatbag that requires extensive unknown rigging isn't likely to happen. The carridice tour bag looks nice but it won't work with seatposts bigger then 40mm. The high capacity seatbags that are available don't use the massive underseat area available to CF riders because most bikes put the users thighs in that area. The balance would be much better with a specially designed seatbag that fills the space under the rider in front of the rear wheel.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:04 am 

We have studied this idea, made a couple of attempts, but as of yet, no production worthy soulitons. We will keep trying, but not promise on when. Thanks for the interest.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm 

The unique nature of the higher handlebars on a RANS CF, means that most handlebar bags are unnecessarily wide and puny. There is potential in an aero high capacity handlebar bag too.

Post subject: Jandd Mountain Wedge 3
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:55 am 

I found a bag that works great for CF bikes!!!!!
http://forums.bicycling.com/eve/forums/ ... 2651058586

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:38 pm 

Wow, not much action here, and CF doesn't get a lot of play on BROL either.

I guess everyone is into trikes these days. My wife worries about me now when I go out for an all day back road ride, I don't think she would let me do it on a vehicle that low. I'll have one some day but it will be ridden on the bike trail only I'm afraid.

I'm still loving my Fusion. It climbs faster and more with more stability than the long and short wheel base bents I have owned. That is huge for me because the low traffic rural riding near me is up and down all day. For a while I used it exclusively off road, but it is now my long distance ride. For this use I am running 42mm Marathon Supremes at low pressure (40-50 psi) and the ride is plush even on our poor New England winter- ravaged roads. It is slower into the wind and downhill than my bents but almost as comfortable, a lot more stable and much better climbing. So I guess I'm hooked on the platform.

Randy, it has been a year since your last post on a possible seat bag for the CF bikes. That would be huge. I have a rear rack where I sometimes hang panniers to carry my junk on longer rides, but there is no room for a rack top bag because of the way the seat post angles aft over the top of the rack (I have the seat extended to the "max" line on the post.)

The bike may not excel in any one area, but it does a lot of things quite well and as someone who likes to own and ride one bike at a time that is great. I sometimes wonder if my speed would be better on the Dynamik or Alterra platform but Fusion is so comfortable for me I really don't feel compelled to find out.

Glad I found my CF bike!

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » CRANK FORWARD DISCUSSIONS