Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » CRANK FORWARD DISCUSSIONS

Post subject: Drop Bars or Moustache on Zenetik ?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 am 

My Zen has the flat handlebar and the 7.5" forged riser. Not being able to change hand positions is quite uncomfortable on my wrists and I wonder if installing drop bars or a Moustache bar works with the Zen geometry. I prefer the Moustache bar option as it would allow the transfer of the brakes/shifters. I see photos of Alterras with drop bars but their geometry is different.

I'm particularly concerned about a.the relation of the height of the bars to the seat height and b.the distance from the bars to the seat.

Has anybody done this conversion and can the straight 7.5" riser be retained or is a change required?

Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Drop Bars or Moustache on Zenetik ?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:01 pm 

For multiple hand positions I have found a flat bar with bar extensions work the best. I spend 90 percent of the time on the bar extensions because that is the most comfortable for the open road. In town I like the solid feel and upright sitting of the flat bar. In town is when I brake and shift the most starting and stopping, so that works best having all the controls where my hands want to be.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:07 am 

Thanks.

I've also been looking at bar extensions but they would have to mount close to the riser as most of the flat bar is occupied by grips-brakes-shifters. As a result the hand position would be too close to the center and uncomfortable for me. Personal preference here.

Another bar I've been looking at is a Trekking bar with multiple possibilities but a very unusual look.

http://www.cyclocamping.com/Handlebars_ ... _B-39.aspx

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:51 pm 

The bar extentions I use are part of the grips, they are the gc3 from ergon. You can buy a completely flat bar if you need to move the levers in.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 am 

Giorgio,
I own both an Alterra and a Dynamik. The Dynamik geometry is identical to the Zenetik. I don't believe the drop bars will work on the Zenetik as the position would be so low that your abdomen would intefere with your pedal stroke when you were on the drops. The geometry of the Alterra is different enough that you can put a drop bar on it and ride on drops without pedaling inteference. I am using a Nitto Dove bar on my Dynamik. They are curved like the Moustache, but don't go as far forward of the riser clamp. I have then in an inverted position, so that the ends are about 2" below the level of the clamp. I have both a straight riser and a curved riser. Since I installed the curved riser I used the Dove bar. If I used the straight riser I would have tried the Moustache bar. As you noted, the nice thing about either bar is that you will be able to re-use your current brake shifter hardware without limitation.

Good luck with your decision.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 am 

bikerjohn wrote:
... I am using a Nitto Dove bar on my Dynamik. They are curved like the Moustache, but don't go as far forward of the riser clamp. I have then in an inverted position, so that the ends are about 2" below the level of the clamp. I have both a straight riser and a curved riser. Since I installed the curved riser I used the Dove bar. If I used the straight riser I would have tried the Moustache bar. As you noted, the nice thing about either bar is that you will be able to re-use your current brake shifter hardware without limitation.

A wealth of information, particularly the use of the two risers and the respective results. I'm clearing shelf space for the inventory of risers and bars that will follow. I also think that an Alterra is in order next.

Thank you bikerjohn, much appreciated.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:09 pm 

As an alternative I replaced the straight bars on my Zenetik with an Albatross bar using Silver levers as bar cons in friction mode. The grips are lacquered cork giving a stately and elegant look. The function is good also with many hand positions. It may slow my 72 year old tourist body down a tad, but I get to enjoy a heads up view.
Mix and match away. It's all good.

Art

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 am 

bikingart wrote:
...Silver levers as bar cons in friction mode.
Art

Thanks Art but it's chinese to me. Please bring it down to my level.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:43 pm 

Sorry about the confusion. Try this. Find Rivendell bicycles web site and look at Albatross handlebars and Silver shifters where a picture will show this set up. Any questions just e mail me and I will try and clarify.
Hope this helps.
Art

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm 

Ach So! Bar end shifters.

Thanks bikingart, good idea though another benefit of a drop bar is the ability to use STI brake/shifters.

BTW I'm getting today a On-One Mary handlebar and it may do the trick. I've read glowing reviews about it and many mfrs are copying it. If it works I may go to XO grip shifters and an XO derailleur. I tried those components on another bike and they are far superior to the X9 components on my Zen.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 am 

Angletech is now offering two versions of the Zenetik labeled now Zenetik 2.0 with "drop bar format" and a "titanium option."

http://www.angletechcycles.com/products ... netikspecs

'08 Rocket
'11 Zenetik & Fusion

Board index » CRANK FORWARD » CRANK FORWARD DISCUSSIONS