Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Crank Forward Archive   

Board index » GENERAL FORUMS » REASONS TO RIDE "EVENTS"

Post subject: Horsey Hundred - May 27-29
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:45 am 

http://www.bgcycling.org/index.php/ride ... ainmenu-71

Fantastic ride in Georgetown, Kentucky over the Memorial Day weekend. Georgetown is in the heart of the Kentucky bluegrass country. The ride goes by a number of thoroughbred horse farms, some that have bred Kentucky Derby winners. Multiple ride options on both Sat. & Sun. with routes from 26 mi. up to 100 mi. on Sat. and 34, 50, and 75 mi. routes on Sun. Ride is quite hilly with not many flat sections. Saturday's century is touted as one of the toughest in the area.

Lots of lodging and dining options. Good selection of hotels and restaurants in Georgetown area. There is also lodging and breakfast options at Georgetown College which is the headquarters for the ride. Showers are available after the ride on Sun. Barbecue lunch is furnished on Sat. afternoon at the college. There are abundant rest stops along the routes.

I always see some bents and even some trikes on this ride.

Post subject: Re: Horsey Hundred - May 27-29
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:30 pm 

I've done a couple of Horseys, and I highly recommend it. Lodging in the dorms is cheap, and the rolling terrain is well-suited to recumbents. It's a 6-7 hour drive for me, and it's not on this year's list; but I definitely plan on doing it again in the near future. In my case, my wife likes to come along and visit the Kentucky Horse Park while I'm out pedaling.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:18 pm 

The Horsey is only 5 days away. Anyone going? If so maybe I will see you there. Will be riding my Alterra Road.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:06 am 

Fast forward a year. I am thinking hard about doing the Horsey in 2012. iambent, is Horsey a regular ride for you?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 am 

BlazingPedals wrote:
Fast forward a year. I am thinking hard about doing the Horsey in 2012. iambent, is Horsey a regular ride for you?
I believe I have done the last five HH's. Before that I did them intermittently. The first one I did was in 1992 and was in conjunction with the the LAB (LAW back then) GEAR Rally. They called it GEAR in the Bluegrass. Georgetown has changed a lot since then. I guess once the Toyota plant came things really changed.

I am not sure I will do it this year. Sort of getting burnt out on Horsey's. Pretty much always the same route, and the last 5 mi. into Georgetown on Sat. is just a nightmare on the narrow two lane with lots of cars and lots of bikes. Plus I keep getting older and the hills on that ride seem to be getting bigger (I am sure that has something to do with me getting older). Always seems to get extremely hot in Georgetown on that weekend. May see if I can find a different ride for the 2012 Memorial Day weekend. Of course around March I may have a change on mind and sign up again.

Board index » GENERAL FORUMS » REASONS TO RIDE "EVENTS"